Making an insurance claim
Making a claim
Every claim is individual and to ensure your insurer can process your claim as quickly and painlessly as possible, they need to ask the right questions to get the right information.
Ask the insurance company
- How long will it be before the loss adjuster visits.
- If you are to clean your property or if they will do it for you
- Confirm the level of cover you have for funding alternative accommodation and help you with the immediate costs of finding somewhere to stay.
Always make your own record of flood damage
- Use a permanent ink pen to mark on the wall the maximum height of the flood water. Do this in every room affected by flooding.
- Photograph or video record your damaged property. List the damage to your property and belongings.
- If your insurance policy covers you for loss of perishable goods, make a list of all the foods you throw away. Include any foods touched by flood water and anything in your fridge or freezer ruined by loss of power.
Things to help you with your insurance claim
- Confirm the insurance company will pay for any service or equipment that you need.
- Make a note of all the telephone calls. Record the date, name and what was agreed.
- Keep copies of letters, emails and faxes you send and receive.
- Keep receipts
- Don't throw anything away