Advice for businesses affected by flooding

The Government and TVBC have put in place a package of support for businesses affected by the flooding since 1 December 2013. 

In the first instance all businesses affected by flooding should contact their insurance company.

Business Rate Flooding Relief

Businesses that have been flooded will be able to apply to TVBC to get business rate relief for three months.  Information on the scheme and how to claim has been sent to all businesses located within flood warning areas with business rate bills. A copy of the letter is under the attachments section located at the end of this page.

If you believe that you might be entitled to this relief please email or write to the Customer Services Unit at the Beech Hurst address shown below.  Please provide as much detail regarding your situation as you can, including dates, the extent of the impact /damage and provide evidence to support your application for example photographs and relevant insurance documentation.

Business Support Scheme

The Council has developed a new scheme to support all small and medium sized businesses in flood affected areas that have been impacted by flooding and suffered a significant loss of trade.

The Government has now allocated funding to Test Valley to support the scheme.

For further information about how to claim please see the Flood Business Support Scheme document under the attachments section at the foot of this page.

Repair and Renewal Grant

The Repair and Renew Grant (RRG) scheme was established to provide grants of up to £5,000 to home-owners and businesses that had been flooded between the 1 April 2013 and 31 March 2014, to implement flood resistance and/or resilience measures to minimise the impact of any future floods.

Quick Guide to Eligibility:

  • the property must have been flooded between 1 April 2013 and 31 March 2014 (for domestic properties this means a part of the property that is usually inhabited, so not sheds or outbuildings. For business properties this must include internal areas that are critical to the day-to-day operations, so not storage or warehouse facilities)
  • the grant is only applicable to making your property more resilient to future flooding. General repairs or insurance excess payments are not covered
  • you must be the owner of the property to apply, or if you are a tenant you must have the owner's written permission for the works included in your application
  • a maximum of £5,000 (including VAT) will be paid
  • the grant will only cover works not covered by your property insurance
  • if you are a business, the grant will be subject to state aid limits
  •  if the property you intend to apply for is a listed building, please contact the Conservation team on 01264 368000 before submitting your application.

PLEASE NOTE: In order to allow enough time to deliver projects it is recommended that new applications for RRG aid should be submitted as soon as possible. All works must be completed and grants paid by 30 June 2015. Any grants awarded but not paid by this date will lapse and the grant will not be paid. To reduce the risk of this happening it is recommended that all works are scheduled to be completed by 31 May 2015. Please remember that if planning permission or Listed Building Consent are needed then you will need to allow enough time for this when submitting your application.

A full guide to the Repair and Renew grant can be found by clicking here or selecting the Repair and Renew grant information at the foot of the page.

Contact us:

For more assistance about any of the above information please contact us by email:

The Government are seeking to reassure people that the allocation of a grant will not affect their insurance premiums:

Other Government help available:

Government Business Support Helpline

Comprehensive advice and support to businesses affected by floods is provided by a Helpline which offers a free one hour call with a dedicated Business Support Adviser to help businesses get back on their feet. The helpline number is 0300 456 3565 and can take calls from flood affected businesses now.

Government support for farmers

The Government is providing a £10million fund for farmers suffering water-logged fields.  The Government's Farming Recovery Fund booklet can be found at the bottom of this page.

HMRC Tax Helpline

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) have set up a dedicated helpline to provide tax advice and assistance to those who have been affected by flooding - telephone 0800 904 7900.

They may be able to agree instalment arrangements where taxpayers are unable to pay as a result of the floods; agree a practical approach when individuals and businesses have lost vital records to the floods; suspend debt collection proceedings for those affected by the floods; cancel penalties when the taxpayer has missed statutory deadlines.

This helpline is in addition to other HMRC telephone contact numbers, and is available Monday to Friday, 8.00 am to 8.00 pm; Saturday and Sunday, 8.00 am to 4.00 pm, excluding bank holidays.

Buy With Confidence trader approval scheme

Hampshire County Council Trading Standards run a trader approval scheme - Buy with Confidence. All traders listed in this scheme have been vetted by Trading Standards to help ensure that businesses getting repair work done can do so using reputable tradespeople. More information can be found at