Caravan and Camping Sites

If you allow your land to be used as a camping site by the public for more than 42 days consecutively - or 60 days in a year - you require a licence from your local authority.


Below are some frequently asked questions about Caravan and campsite licensing.

Why do I need a licence?

To run a caravan and camping site you need a licence from the local authority. Conditions may be attached to a licence to cover any of the following:

  • restricting when caravans can be on the site for human habitation or restricting the number of caravans that can be on the site at any one time
  • controlling the types of caravans on the site
  • controlling the positioning of the caravans or regulating the use of other structures and vehicles including tents
  • to ensure steps are taken to enhance the land, including planting/replanting bushes and trees
  • fire safety and fire fighting controls
  • to ensure that sanitary and other facilities, services and equipment are supplied and maintained.


What will I have to do?

The applicant must be entitled to use the land as a caravan site. Licences will not be issued to applicants who have had a site licence revoked within three years of the current application.

Is there a fee?

Yes, from 1st April 2016 Test Valley Borough Council will charge for work connected with caravan site licensing for relevant protected sites.  Fees will apply to granting licences, transferring licences, variation of site licence holders request, and an annual fee.  More details on the fees are contained in our licensing fee policy which is available to download at the bottom of the page.

What does the application process involve?

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence


What does the evaluation process involve?

Applications for site licences are made to the local authority in whose are the land is situated.

Applications must be in writing, should detail the land the application concerns and any other information required by the local authority.

Will Tacit Consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period of 40 working days.


Can I make my application online?

Apply to run a caravan site or campsite
Tell us about a change to your existing caravan or camp site

What can I do if my application fails?

You are advised to take up any issue with the local authority first. If a licence holder is refused an application to alter a condition they may appeal to the Local Magistrates's Court. The appeal must be made within 28 days of the written notification of the refusal and a notice of appeal must be service on the local district council.


What can I do if I am unhappy about the licence conditions?

You are advised to take up any issue with the local authority first. If a licence holder wishes to appeal against a condition attached to a licence they may appeal to the local Magistrates' Court. the appeal must be made within 28 days of the licence being issued.

The local authority may alter conditions at any time but must give licence holders the opoprtunity to make representations about the proposed changes. If a licence holder disagrees with the alterations they may appeal to the local Magistrates' Court. The appeal must be made within 28 days of the written notification of the alteration and a notice of appeal must be served on the local district council.

How can I make a complaint?

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.


Are there any trade associations?

Association of Caravan and Camping Exempted Organisations (ACCEO)
British Holiday & Home Parks Association (BH&HPA)
British Resorts and Destinations Association
Caravan Industry Training (CITO)
Federation of Tour Operators (FTO)
Group Travel Organisers Association (GTOA)
Hotel Marketing Association
National Caravan Council (NCC)

Mobile Home Site Rules

Under the Mobile Homes Site Rules Regulation 2014, owners of every mobile home site is required to deposit its site rules with the Local Authority.  You can view the site rules for mobile home sites in Test Valley here.

Are there any other types of redress?

For example, about noise, pollution, etc. Also should one licence holder complain about another.

For further information please contact:

The Private Sector Housing Team
Telephone: 01264 368000