Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

These benefits are administered by Local Authorities and paid to those on a low income to help meet payment of rent and/or council tax. Low income can be low earnings, low self employed income, income from other state benefits such as Employment Support Allowance, Job Seekers Allowance or Income Support.

Council Tax Support gives help to those with a low income who are liable to pay council tax. You can apply for both benefits if you need to pay rent and council tax, or apply for help with rent only or council tax only.

Who can apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support?

Anyone who has a responsibility to pay rent on a commercial basis may be able to get help with paying their rent. You do not have to be paying rent to a housing association to apply for housing benefit. People who pay rent (including lodgers, boarders, sub tenants, hostel dwellers, housing association and council tenants) can apply.

Anyone who is responsible for paying Council Tax for the property they live in, i.e. the named person, or their partner on the bill, may be able to claim help with their Council Tax.

If you would like to make a claim for help meeting payments for rent and/or council tax you will find details of making a claim on our Claiming Benefits page (including an online benefits calculator to estimate your entitlement to housing benefit and/or council tax support).

If you wish to know about other benefits that you may be entitled to, please visit the Gov.uk website by clicking on this link at the bottom of this page.

Revenues Service
Test Valley Borough Council
01264 368000

email benefits@testvalley.gov.uk