Planning policy is used to help determine planning applications - what can be built, where, and how buildings are used. It is also used to plan for our future needs, assessing what change is likely to happen and where, and what policies are needed to achieve this.
The main area of work for the Planning Policy team is the preparation of the statutory Development Plan for the Borough. This currently includes our Borough Local Plan, however work has commenced on the new Local Development Framework (LDF), which will comprise a number of documents setting out the strategic planning policies for the Borough. All planning applications in the Borough should be determined taking into account the Development Plan.
For further information on the planning policy process and a diagram illustrating the relationship between all the documents please see 'Understanding Planning Policy'.
- Authority Monitoring Report (AMR) Authority Monitoring Reports (AMRs) review the performance of planning policies on the area in which they apply. They also include an update on the milestones set out in the Council’s Local Development Scheme (LDS).
- Forest Park Implementation Framework The Implementation Framework sets out the approach to deliver the proposed Forest Park.
- Green Infrastructure Strategy The Green Infrastructure strategy sets out the proposed approach to the provision of green infrastructure within the borough.
- Development Plan Identifies the documents that form part of the Development Plan, along with providing links to National Planning Policy.
- Local Development Framework The LDF is the new system of Development Plans. It takes the form of a portfolio of documents, including the Revised Local Plan, which collectively deliver the planning strategy and policies for Test Valley.
- Supplementary Planning Documents Supplementary Planning Documents provide supplementary information on the policies in the Development Plan Documents (DPD).
- Village Design Statements Village Design Statements set out the important design considerations for villages within the borough.
- Planning Policy Guidance There are a number of policy documents that have been formally approved as guidance by the Council, but do not have Supplementary Planning Documents (SPD) status nor form part of the Local Development Framework (LDF).
- Romsey Waterways and Wetlands This document aims to identify key issues affecting the water courses and wetlands in Romsey, and to highlight opportunities where positive change could be achieved.
- Neighbourhood Planning Neighbourhood Development Plans (NDP) are documents that describe the distinctive characteristics of their area. They provide guidelines to developers to help manage development so that the village’s essential character can remain.