Planning policy is used to help determine planning applications - what can be built, where, and how buildings are used. It is also used to plan for our future needs, assessing what change is likely to happen and where, and what policies are needed to achieve this.
The main area of work for the Planning Policy team is the preparation of the statutory Development Plan for the Borough. This currently includes our Borough Local Plan, however work has commenced on the new Local Development Framework (LDF), which will comprise a number of documents setting out the strategic planning policies for the Borough. All planning applications in the Borough should be determined taking into account the Development Plan.
For further information on the planning policy process and a diagram illustrating the relationship between all the documents please see 'Understanding Planning Policy'.
- Green Infrastructure Strategy The Green Infrastructure strategy sets out the proposed approach to the provision of green infrastructure within the borough.
- Understanding Planning Policy Further information on the status and relationship between the planning policy documents as part of the Local Development Framework (LDF) and/or Development Plan.
- Development Plan The documents that provide planning guidance and set out the Council's adopted policies and proposals for development, including the Borough Local Plan (BLP).
- Local Development Framework The LDF is the new system of Development Plans. It takes the form of a portfolio of documents, including the Revised Local Plan, which collectively deliver the planning strategy and policies for Test Valley.
- National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) The NPPF sets out the Government's national planning policies. It must be taken into account in the preparation of plans and is a material consideration in planning decisions.
- Supplementary Planning Documents Supplementary Planning Documents provide supplementary information on the policies in the Development Plan Documents (DPD).
- Village Design Statements Village Design Statements set out the important design considerations for villages within the borough.
- Planning Policy Guidance There are some documents that the Council has formally approved and where relevant will be used when considering applications but do not have SPD status.
- Romsey Waterways and Wetlands This document aims to identify key issues affecting the water courses and wetlands in Romsey, and to highlight opportunities where positive change could be achieved.
- Parish Plans Setting out what is important in your local community, covering the whole spectrum of social, economic and environmental issues.
- Neighbourhood Planning Neighbourhood Planning is the government’s initiative to empower local communities with the opportunity to shape the future of the places where they live and work.