If a vehicle is abandoned, the Council has the power to remove it.
If you consider a vehicle to be abandoned please report it to us. Remember to give us as many details as possible including:
- the vehicle registration number (if visible)
- the make, model and colour of the vehicle
- the exact location of the vehicle
- if the vehicle is on private land, the name and address of the landowner (if possible).
Please note the paper tax disc no longer exists. You can check if a vehicle is taxed on the GOV.UK website.
Please check the information under 'What is an abandoned vehicle' below before reporting it.
To report an abandoned vehicle online, please follow this link: My Test Valley, including as much information as you can or alternatively, contact Customer Services on 01264 368000 or 01794 527700.
What is an abandoned vehicle?
People often confuse an abandoned vehicle with a nuisance and/or untaxed vehicle. The Council only has the powers to tackle and remove genuinely abandoned vehicles.
For a vehicle to be classed as abandoned and be dealt with by the Environmental Enforcement team, it should be untaxed plus at least three of the following:
- vehicle is just a shell
- burnt out
- doors open
- doors missing
- bonnet open
- seats and inside fittings missing
- windows broken or missing
- windscreen broken or missing
- wheels missing
- flat tyres
- signs of vandalism
- evidence of vehicle having been stripped for parts, for example bumpers and tyres missing
- vehicle full of rubbish
- signs of a tow rope having been used
- missing registration plates
- evidence of vehicle not having moved such as birds mess, dust, weeds, no windscreen wiper marks
- evidence of neglect and poor condition, for example rust, very dirty, scratched or dented
- vehicle has never been seen in the location previously but appears to have been unattended for three days.
Where the vehicle is untaxed, but does not appear to be meet the criteria above, please report it to the DVLA via the GOV.UK website.
Test Valley Borough Council has the power to recover the costs of removal, storage and disposal from the person responsible for abandoning a vehicle. For details of the current costs see - The Removal, Storage and Disposal of Vehicles (Prescribed Sums and Charges) Regulations 2008.
|gov.uk||GOV.UK Web Page - Check if a vehicle is taxed|
|gov.uk||GOV.UK Web Page - Reporting an untaxed vehicle|
|keepbritaintidy.org||Keep Britain Tidy Website|