Am I able to stand for election?

If you would like to stand as a Councillor in Test Valley, you need to be:

• at least 18 years old. There is no maximum age limit
• a British, Irish, EU or Commonwealth citizen
• registered, and will continue to be registered, as a local government elector in the borough of Test Valley; or have lived or had your principal place of work in the borough for 12 months before standing; or have been an owner or tenant of any land or premises in the borough for at least 12 months before standing.

You do not need any formal qualifications to stand as a councillor.

You cannot stand if:
• you work for Test Valley Borough Council
• you hold a 'politically restricted post' in another organisation
• you are the subject of a bankruptcy restrictions order or interim order
• you have served a prison sentence (including suspended sentences) of three months or more within five years prior to the election
• you have been disqualified under any legislation relating to corrupt or illegal practices.

Further information about qualifications and disqualifications can be found on the Electoral Commission's website using the link below.