Payments to Councillors

Councillors are not paid, but they receive a 'member’s allowance' to recompense them for time and money spent on Council business.

Two types of allowances exist for councillors:

• Basic Allowance (paid to all councillors)
• Special Responsibility Allowance (paid to those councillors who carry out special duties such as being the chairman of a committee)

Each local authority can decide the level of these allowances but are required to set up independent panels to recommend local schemes of allowances. In addition, councillors can claim for travel and subsistence allowances. A dependent carer’s allowance is also available.

Read more about Test Valley Borough Council member allowances here.