Alternative help with paying Council Tax - second adult rebate

Second Adult Rebate
If someone in your household has a low income you may be able to claim Second Adult Rebate. This rebate can be awarded where a person who is liable for Council Tax has an income above the threshold for Council Tax Support. We do not need to know details of income or capital for the householder as the low income for the second adult is the relevant information for Second Adult Rebate.

You will not be able to claim this benefit if you are living with a partner or you have a lodger in your household. If you have other people in your household and you think that your income means that you would qualify for benefits, please go to other people in your household for further information.

There must be at least one other person (a non-dependant adult) living with you who is on a low income. This could be low earnings, Employment Support Allowance, Pension Credit, Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance. We will need to see proof of your National Insurance number and identity (e.g. driving licence, birth certificate, passport) together with proof of income received and capital held by the second adult.

The amount of rebate granted will be based on a percentage of the Council Tax that you pay. We will credit it to your Council Tax account.

Second adult in receipt of Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance(IB),Pension Credit, Employment Support Allowance (Income Related) 25% of liability
Second adult gross income less than £185.00 per week 15% of liability
Second adult gross income between £185.00 to £240.99 per week 7.5% of liability
Second adult gross income for more than £241.00 per week 0% of liability

  • You can apply online using the link at the bottom of the page or:-
  • email, or
  • Telephone us on 01264 368000 and we will send you a form

Completed forms should be returned to the Council offices at Andover or Romsey - the addresses are shown at the bottom of this page (please do not send original documents in the post).

Offices are open Monday to Thursday 8.30 to 5.00 and Friday 8.30 to 4.30.

Or please contact us to arrange for a Visiting Officer to call and collect your information.