Council Tax discount for care leavers
Test Valley Borough Council has implemented a new discount for Care leavers.
From 1 April 2020 you may be entitled to 100% discount on your council tax bill, so you pay nothing, if you:
- Are a care leaver aged between 18 and 25
- Have been in the care of Hampshire County Council for at least 13 weeks from the age of 14
- Are liable for Council Tax or a share of council tax on a dwelling in the Test Valley area.
If this applies to you, you still need to apply for any other reduction to which you are entitled to such as:
- Student discount or exemption
- Single person discount
- Council Tax reduction
We will top up your entitlement with a care leaver discount so you will not have to pay Council Tax until you reach your 25th birthday.
- Care leavers who are solely liable to pay council tax will be awarded 100% relief on the amount of council tax they are liable to pay after all statutory discounts and exemptions have been applied
- Where a care leaver lives with just one other adult whether jointly liable or not a discount of 25% will apply.
This discount is only for council tax due after 1 April 2020, so you will still need to pay any council tax you owe for an earlier period.
- Council tax care leavers application form (docx, 88kb) (word 109 kb)
Your personal advisor or another approved person must complete Part 3 of the form.
The Revenues Team will inform you once the discount has been agreed.