Disregarded Persons Discount

Some adults are not counted for Council Tax purposes.
A discount is allowed on the Council Tax bill if the number of adults counted as living in the property is one or none. The Council Tax bill will then attract a discount of 25% or 50% respectively.

The following groups of people may be not counted (subject to the necessary proof being provided):-

  • Persons in detention
  • The Severely Mentally Impaired (Dwellings wholly occupied by people who are severely mentally impaired may be exempt from council tax)
  • Persons in respect of whom Child Benefit is in payment
  • School and College leavers
  • Full time Students, including 18 and 19 year olds still at school (Dwellings wholly occupied by students are exempt from council tax)
  • Student nurses / Project 2000 nurses
  • Apprentices
  • New Horizon trainees
  • Long term hospital patients
  • Persons resident in nursing or care homes
  • Care workers
  • Care providers - caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18
  • Residents of hostels for the homeless or night shelters
  • Religious Community Residents
  • Members and dependants of visiting forces
  • Persons with diplomatic privileges or immunities
  • Non British spouses of students

We are currently developing online application forms for these discounts. The forms currently available online are shown below. Please complete one of these forms if it is appropriate to your circumstances. If there is currently no form which applies to your situation, please contact customer services on 01264 368000.