Reductions in Council Tax for Households with Students in them

Reductions in Council Tax for Households with Students in them

Q. What are the conditions under which a student may be disregarded ?
A. The person must be either :-

(i) Attending a full time course of further or higher education at a University, College or other educational establishment. The course must last for at least one year and involve 21 hours attendance per week for at least 24 weeks in the year.
(ii) Under 20 years of age and attending a course which lasts more than 3 calendar months and involves at least 12 hours attendance per week from 8am to 5:30pm. The course must not be undertaken by correspondence, or in consequence of the person's job nor must it be a course of higher education.

Q. What happens during vacations ?
A. The person will continue to be disregarded throughout the whole period of their course, which includes vacations between terms.

Q. How do I apply ?
A. Complete a Student Discount Form. You will need to send us an original Student Certificate for each person. Alternatively you can hand these in at the Council's offices where the original can be photo copied and handed back to you.

Q. Where can I get a Students Certificate ?
A. The Student Certificate can be obtained from the Certification Officer at the Education Establishment. The Officer is normally the person responsible for the enrolment of students. He/she should be able to provide you with a certificate on request, verifying the course being undertaken and the period of attendance.

Data Protection
The information you provide on the form will be used to determine whether you are eligible for a discount from your Council Tax and may be recorded on a computer. Although you are not obliged to give this information, the Council will not be able to assess your eligibility for a discount unless you do so.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us on 01264 368000.