Health & Safety - Advice and Enforcement
Health & Safety advice and enforcement is undertaken by the Commercial Team in Housing & Environmental Health, and includes:
- The promotion of health, safety and welfare in the workplace.
- The provision of advice, information and training.
- The inspection of workplaces and businesses including - amusement & sporting activities, cafes, children's nurseries, estate agents, hairdressers, hotels, leisure, offices, places of worship, public houses, restaurants, retail, takeaways, travel agents, tyre & exhaust fitting services and warehousing.
- The investigation of accidents and complaints in the above types of premises.
- The carrying out of advisory visits upon request.
- Liaison with other organisations with an interest in health & safety issues.
- Registration of Hairdressers and premises undertaking tattooing, ear piercing, accupunture and electrolysis.
Other Useful Contacts
- Local Health & Safety Executive office - 01256 404000 - Priestley House, Priestley Road, Basingstoke, RG24 9NW
- HSE Books - 01787 881165 http://books.hse.gov.uk/hse/public/home.jsf - PO Box 1999, Sudbury, Suffolk CO10 2WA
- Waterstones (local HMSO agents) - 01962 840379 www.waterstones.co.uk
A wide range of fact sheets and other publications are available including:
- Test Valley Borough Council - Health & Safety Enforcement Policy
- Test Valley Borough Council Corporate Annual Health & Safety Report 2010/11
- Environmental Health Commercial Team Service Plan (pdf)
- Environment & Health Guide to Health and Safety (1.9MB)
- Home Working (pdf 17KB)
- Noise at Work (pdf 41KB)
- Occupational Health (pdf 15KB)
- Outdoor Play Equipment (pdf 148KB)
- Personal Protective Equipment (pdf 21KB)
- Racking Installations (pdf 14KB)
Promoting Workplace Health
Every year, over two million people in the UK suffer from an illness they believe is caused by or made worse as a result of work. These types of work-related illnesses have been shown to cost a business, on average, £1,196 each time a worker is on sick leave.
Workplace Health Connect provides free confidential and impartial advice on creating a safer and more healthy workplace for smaller businesses in England and Wales (see www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/whswindx.htm for further information).
For further information please contact:
The Commercial Team
Tel 01264 368000