Businesses on Pavements Licence

Businesses on pavements Licences - frequently asked questions:

Why do I need a licence?

To place tables, chairs or other temporary furniture on the pavement in England and Wales you require a licence from your local authority.

Conditions may be attached and a fee may be payable.

What will I have to do?

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence is available under the external links on this page.

What does the application process involve?

Public notice of the application must be given detailing the proposal and deadline for representations.

What does the evaluation process involve?

All representations received must be considered.

Any other relevant authorities must be consulted.

Will Tacit Consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period of 60 calendar days.

Can I make my application online?

Please see external links on this page.

What can I do if my application fails?

Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

What can I do if I am unhappy about the licence conditions?

Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

How can I make a complaint?

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct (see external links on this page) will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre (plese see external links on this page).

Are there other types of redress?

If an application is refused, there is a right of appeal to the Council's Licensing Committee.

Trade Associations?