Dog Warden Service
Test Valley Borough Council has a Dog Warden and an Animal Welfare Officer whose work includes dealing with many varied dog related issues and promoting responsible dog ownership throughout the Borough. Below are listed some of the day to day tasks:
- Education – visiting schools throughout the Borough giving talks on all aspects of dog awareness including health related issues. Taking part in Junior Citizen and Science Fair weeks. Rumble is the latest addition to the Dog Warden Team - read his story.
- Patrols – talking to local dog walkers and enforcing the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005
- Stray dogs – collecting and arranging kennelling for strays and arranging re-homing when necessary.
- Advice – to members of the public on subjects such as problem dogs with behavioural problems as well as general responsible dog ownership.
- Traffic light system – a pawprinted signage system in the parks and open spaces of Test Valley to help all dog walkers to make the best use of facilities provided.
- Home visits – for national dog rescue organisations to assess the suitability and surroundings of prospective dog re-homers.
- Talks – to bodies such as the Post Office and Housing Associations on dog issues that affect their working environment.
- Local events – attending fêtes and fairs in the borough to promote responsible dog ownership.
Your local Dog Warden may be contacted on Andover 01264 368463 (Monday - Thursday 8.30 - 5.00 and Friday 8.30 - 4.30). Out of working hours please ring 01264 368000.
Additional useful information for pet owners :
Hampshire and I.O.W. Dog Wardens Group
The Test Valley Animal Welfare Team are members of the Hampshire and I.O.W. Dog Wardens Group. This group is made up of officers from all the Hampshire local authorities who meet quarterly to discuss issues relevant to their roles. The forward thinking group has become a voice in national dog related issues and is regularly consulted on changes in legislation and procedures.
Orchard Vets, Romsey - www.orchardvetromsey.co.uk
Mainstone Vets, Romsey - www.mainstonevets.co.uk
Village Vets, Chandler's Ford - http://www.thevillageveterinarycentre.co.uk
Hawksdown veterinary group, Stockbridge and Winchester - www.hawksdownvets.co.uk
Anton Vets, Andover - www.antonvets.co.uk
Strathmore Vets, Andover - www.strathmorevets.co.uk
Foxcotte Vets, Andover - www.foxcotte.co.uk
Companion Care Vet, Andover - www.companioncare.co.uk
Vets 4 Pets, Andover - www.vets4pets.com/find-a-practice/vets4pets-andover/
Pets at Home - www.petsathome.com/
Dog Rehoming Charities
Dogs Trust Salisbury - 01980 629634
Dogs Trust Newbury - 01488 658391
RSPCA - 0300 1234555
General Dog Training
Ray Alexander - 01264 391399
Pauline Wise - 01264 356661
Able Trainers - 01794 511495
Peter Branch at Newbury Lodge on 01264 736466 or visit www.newburylodgekennels.co.uk/
Andover and District Dog Training Society - Mike Hayward 01264 889380, Shirley Hayward 01264 889380
Grateley Dog Training Club - Mrs Shirley Hayward 01264 889380 email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jill Thorpe - Develop your Dog - on 07901 651663 or visit www.DevelopYourDog.co.uk
UpAndOver - Whether for fun or the serious competitor, UpAndOver is a friendly, local club offering puppy classes, foundation, beginner, novice and grades. All trainers are experienced handlers, with many years experience and Agility 1st trained. All enquiries should go to Jane Price email@example.com tel: 07909 950745 www.upandoverdogagilityclub.co.uk.
The Ultimate Recall Course
Taking the Class (NEW)
Foundation Behaviour Course
For advice on training your dog for similar activities
For more general training, behavioural assessments, agility and Schutzhund visit www.newburylodgetrainingcentre.moonfruit.com
For those of you who have gun dog breeds, retrievers, pointers, spaniels or similar working breeds and general dog training visit www.lainsshootingschool.co.uk or call 01264 889178.
For further information or advice please contact:
The Dog Warden
Tel 01264 368000