Environmental Permitting

An environmental permit under the Pollution Prevention & Control Act 1999 is required to operate certain industrial processes, which, if not properly controlled, could result in harmful emissions to the environment.  The responsibilities for regulation are shared between Local Authorities and the Environment Agency, depending on the type and scale of the processes concerned.  The Council deals with 'Part A2 installations', 'Part B installations' and mobile plant only.

To make an application, please see the Council's Licensing pages.

Guidance on all aspects of Environmental Permitting is available by clicking here

What does the application involve?

Applications must be made on the form provided by the regulator, or on-line and must include specified information which will vary depending on the operation. A fee may be payable.

If further information is required the applicant will be notified by the regulator and they must provide this information or the application will be deemed to be withdrawn.

The application must be from the operator of the regulated facility.

For waste operations no licence will be granted unless any required planning permission has first been granted.

Can I make my application on-line?

Yes.  Applications for both A2 and B Environmental Permits are available in the download section at the bottom of this page together with a change of circumstance form.

What can I do if I am unhappy about the permit conditions?

Please contact your local authority in the first instance. If an application to vary, transfer or surrender an environmental permit has been refused or if the applicant objects to conditions imposed on the environmental permit they may appeal to the appropriate authority.

Appeals must be lodged in relation to a regulator initiated variation, a suspension notice or an enforcement notice, not later than two months from the date of the variation or notice and in any other case not later than six months from the date of the decision.

How can I make a complaint?

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Do you need any more information?

For further information please contact:

Environmental Protection Team
Telephone: 01264 368000
E-mail: envhealth@testvalley.gov.uk