Supporting People Programme

What is Supporting People?

The Supporting People Programme funds and commissions housing related support services that assist over 18,000 vulnerable people across Hampshire, enabling them to live as independently as possible in their own accommodation.

Who can Supporting People help?

  • Older people
  • People with learning disabilities, mental health problems or physical disabilities
  • Women escaping domestic violence
  • Young vulnerable people & teenage parents
  • Homeless people
  • People with substance misuse problems
  • People at risk of offending 

How do people benefit from Supporting People services?

By being supported to:

  • Understand and manage the rights and responsibilities of their tenancy
  • Budget – eg.. to pay the rent
  • Arrange connection and payment for utility services (water, gas and electricity supplies etc.)
  • Ensure their home is safe and secure
  • Develop life skills associated with maintaining a home or tenancy
  • Access relevant benefits associated with living in their own home.
  • Live independently in sheltered housing.
  • Arrange adaptations and minor repairs to the home
  • Gain access to local community organisations
  • Have access to advice, advocacy and liaison.

What services are funded by Supporting People?

  • Domestic violence refuges
  • Direct access hostels
  • Sheltered housing
  • Home improvement agencies
  • Floating support to people in their own homes
  • Accommodation based services where support is linked to accommodation

Who is eligible for Supporting People?

Anyone over 16 who is in need of the kind of support services the programme provides. Services are either short term in nature (ie.. people receive them for up to two years) for which there is no cost to the service user, or they are long-term in nature for which there may be a charge. If the service user is in receipt of a means tested benefit they may be eligible to have their support costs met on their behalf through the Supporting People programme. In these cases the service user must be in receipt of Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, Job Seekers Allowance, Pension Credit or Income Support.

Where can I get more information?

Additional information relating to the current Hampshire Supporting People Strategy, SP policy, governance, news and events, besides any general enquiries etc can be accessed via:
The Hants SP website
The National SP Service Directory

Who can I contact for more information?

If you require further information or advice, please contact:

The Supported Housing Officer
Telephone: 01264 368000