Home Improvement Loans
Home improvement loans of up to £10,000 are available for eligible owner - occupiers. You may be able to make an application if your property:
- does not meet the Council's Health & Safety Standards
- needs minor work to help the owner - occupier or a member of their family to live independently
- needs work to improve energy efficiency that is not covered by any other grant scheme.
Who is eligible for a Home Improvement Loan?
- Applicants must own the property and must occupy the property as their main home.
- Proof of identity must be provided by giving either a valid full passport or details of your National Insurance Number.
- Proof of ownership according to the Council’s procedures at the time of application must be given.
- The property must be the applicant’s only and current residence and be within the boundaries of Test Valley.
- Owner-occupiers on low income, who are aged 60 or over, people with disabilities, families with resident children under 5 or with a resident member of the household with a disability can be considered and assessed by the Government’s test of financial resources used for assessing Disabled Facilities Grants. Those who are assessed as having a contribution of £5000 or less will be considered eligible for the scheme.
Are any properties excluded?
Yes, some properties are excluded:
- Commercial properties where the planning use is part commercial only self- contained dwellings with separate access will be considered.
- Properties that are subject to Closing or Demolition Orders.
- Mobile homes (including fixed homes covered by the Mobile Homes Act 1983), caravans and houseboats.
What can the loan be used for?
The loan can be used for properties that:
- fail the Council’s health and safety standard because they are unfit or have category one hazards rated on the housing health and safety rating system or are in substantial disrepair and/or
- need minor work or adaptation and/or improvement to allow independent living for the applicant or a member of their family living within the property and/or
- need additional energy efficiency works where the work is not covered by any grant-funded scheme.
How much financial help might be available?
- 100% of the cost of the eligible works, including VAT
- A maximum of £10,000 is available for eligible works
Is interest payable on the loan?
Interest is payable, fixed at the Bank of England base rate at the date the application is made.
For further information, please contact the:
Private Sector Housing Team
Tel 01264 368000