Self Build Register
The Self Build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 places a duty on councils to keep a register of individuals and groups who are seeking to bring forward a self-build project for their sole or main residence.
The register will help to establish the demand for self-build and custom build plots within Test Valley, which will inform the evidence for the next local plan. Please note that in preparing and maintaining this register, the Council are making no commitment to identify and provide self-build or custom-build plots.
Self-build homes are subject to the same requirements for planning permission as other homes and there are specific requirements for utilities and access to the public highway that a plot of land must meet.
Seeking land for Self-Build
To be eligible for the self-build register you must be aged 18 or over; a British citizen, a national of the European Economic Area State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland; and seeking to acquire a serviced plot of land to be your sole or main residence.
If you are interested in applying for entry in the register please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details:
If you are an individual applicant:
• your name, address, date of birth and nationality; contact details, ie. email address and/or telephone number;
• confirmation that you are seeking to acquire a serviced plot of land within the borough to build a house to occupy as your sole or main residence;
• the preferred location, size of the land you require and plot size.
If you are a group (of individuals):
• the name and address of the group;
• the name, address, date of birth and nationality of each member of the group;
• the name and address (if different from the address of the group) of the lead contact;
• confirmation that each member of the group is seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land within the borough to build a house to occupy as that individual’s sole or main residence.
• the preferred location, the number of serviced plots of land/size of land within the borough the members of the group are seeking to acquire.
Determining eligibility for entry in the Register
If you have supplied all the necessary information, we will notify you within 28 days of the date that the application was received of your eligibility for entry in the Register.
If we find that you are not eligible for entry in the Register, we will notify you and give reasons why.
Removal of an entry from the Register
If you wish to be removed from the Register please notify us in writing at email@example.com and your details will be removed within 28 days from receipt of this request. In the case of a group, the request must come from the lead contact.
Test Valley Borough Council is collecting your personal details in accordance with the terms set out in The Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding (Register) Regulations 2016. We will retain your details for monitoring purposes, and we may contact you in future in regard to your interest in self-build projects. We will not use your details for any other purpose.
By registering your interest in the Self-Build Register you agree to us processing your personal information as described above.
Promoting land for Self-Build
If you are looking to promote a possible site for self-build, please notify the Council at firstname.lastname@example.org . The site would need to be acceptable in planning terms and will require planning permission.