On-Street Resident Permits


Test Valley Borough Council administrates the scheme on behalf of Hampshire County Council. The scheme is applicable to any of the roads within the permit zone. Any residents living within the permit zone may apply for resident and/or visitor permit/s, subject to off street parking provision and eligibility. However, please be aware that New Developments are unlikely to be eligible to join the existing residents permit scheme.

The Council would emphasise that holding a permit does not guarantee the availability of a space in which to park.

How do I apply?

You can apply online at www.testvalley.gov.uk/onlinepermits or by completing a paper application form. You must provide Proof of Residency, and for resident permit applications you must also provide Proof of your ownership of your vehicle(s). If you apply online you can upload your scanned documents either at the end of the application process, or at a later time by clicking the supporting documents button. Alternatively photocopies of your supporting documents may be posted to the Council offices in Andover, or taken in person to the Council offices in Romsey or Andover where our Customer Service advisors will photocopy them for you. Please ensure if your application was made online that you quote your online application number.

Acceptable Proof of Residency documents include:

  • Council Tax or Utility Bills
  • Bank Statement (showing your address)
  • Tenancy Agreement or Solicitors Letter Acceptable Proof of Vehicle Ownership documents include:
  • V5 Vehicle Logbook
  • Motor Vehicle Insurance Certificate
  • Letter from employer confirming that this is a company vehicle

Permits are issued at an annual administration fee of £15.00 per permit. Payment by cheque or postal order payable to Test Valley Borough Council must be included with your paper application, or alternatively payment can be made by debit card online. Customers wishing to pay by debit card will be emailed details of how to pay online once their application has been processed and approved. Please note that a permit will be cancelled and recalled if a payment is subsequently refused or declined after the permit has been issued.

The information which you supply will be used for the purposes of Parking Service administration and also for the delivery of other Council services, where to do so is judged to be likely to enhance the efficiency and/or effectiveness with which services are delivered.

How many permits can I apply for?

Your eligibility for permits will be based upon any existing off street parking provision which you have for your property. Garages sized less than 6m x 3m need not be included as a space for your property’s off street parking.

Romsey Permit Zones:

Inner Zone, Bridge Road Outer Zone , Mountbatten Avenue Zone (J), Newton Lane Zone (N), , Albany Road Zone ( M), The Old Brewery Zone ( O), Knatchbull Close Zone ( P), Hollman Drive Zone (Q):
(**Residents in streets within the Inner Zone without any on-street residents parking bays, will not be eligible for a visitors permit.)

Andover Permit Zones:

Adelaide Road (A), Anton Zone (S), Dances Close (D) , Dene Road, Grateley Station, Heath Vale, Redbridge (G), Silkweavers (C), Suffolk Road (F), Station Zones (V, W, X, Y), The Elms (E), Vigo Road (B), Watermills Zone (T), Wolversdene Zone, Floral Way (L)

Properties without parking Max 2 Residents + 1 Visitor
Properties with 1 space 1 Residents + 1 Visitor
Properties with 2 spaces 1 Visitor


Nursling: Toogoods Zone R

Properties with 3 spaces or less Max 1 Residents + 1 Visitor
Properties with 4 spaces or more 1 Visitor


When and where can I use my permit?

Permits will remain valid until such time as either the permit expires, is surrendered, or until there is a need for the permit to be replaced due to change of circumstances.

Permits must be clearly displayed in a vehicle’s front windscreen so that the permit details are clearly visible from the outside of the vehicle.

The owner of a vehicle displaying a resident or visitors parking permit will be entitled to park that vehicle only within the zone or street named on the permit and only in parking bays designated for use by resident permit holders. Permit holders in Permit Zones E, J, L, M, N, O, P, Q which do not have marked out parking bays may only park within their individual permit zone. Maps showing the permit zones are available on our website at www.testvalley.gov.uk/permits.

Where a residents parking bay is also a limited waiting bay, motor vehicles parked for longer than the limited waiting period during the period of restricted waiting, must clearly display a valid permit on the inside of the front windscreen so that the details are clearly visible from the outside of the vehicle.

Residents permits may only be used on the vehicle whose vehicle registration number is shown on the permit. Visitor’s permits may only be used in parking bays in the street, road or zone named on the permit and only by residents or their visitors whilst they are visiting the property.
Permits must remain in the possession of the person they were issued to. Permits are non-transferable.

Permits are not valid in any off-street car parks. Permit holders may not park in bays where parking has been suspended.

The term ‘motor vehicle’ includes all motor vehicles except: a) goods vehicle exceeding 2524 kg unladen weight and b) passenger vehicles adapted to carry more than 8 persons (excluding the driver).

It is not permitted to use a vehicle in connection with the sale of any article to persons in or near the parking place or in connection with the selling or offering for hire of his or her skill or services.

Change of Name or Address, Lost Permit, Damaged or unreadable permits

Permit holders must notify the Parking Office immediately of any lost permit or change or name, address or vehicle. An administration fee of £15.00 is made for replacing a lost permit. Changes can be notified online at www.testvalley.gov.uk/onlinepermits or by emailing permits@testvalley.gov.uk. Alternatively you may collect a form from the Council Offices or telephone 01264 368730.

Your must surrender your permit if you change your address, change your vehicle, request a replacement because your permit is unreadable (faded/mutilated etc) or if your vehicle has been adapted or used in a manner that is no longer a vehicle of the class specified in the Order. Please note that surrendered permits are non refundable.

In the event of a permit holder changing their vehicle, subject to satisfactory proof of ownership, surrender of the existing permit and a completed change of circumstances form, we aim to issue a replacement permit within 5 working days for the balance of the year remaining. 5-day temporary permits can be obtained from the Council Offices in Andover or Romsey.

The Council reserve the right to withdraw or refuse to issue or renew a permit if the above conditions are not adhered to.

Enforcement - The enforcement of this scheme is the responsibility of the Test Valley Borough Council and any vehicle failing to display a valid residents or visitors permit or parking in contravention of any of these Conditions of Issue is liable to incur a Penalty Charge Notice. Such Charges will not be withdrawn and failure to pay such Charges may result in further action.

This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers and to this end may use the information you have provided for the prevention and detection of fraud. We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. Without identifying you, we may also use this information to help us plan and improve our services. For further information please visit our website.www.testvalley.gov.uk/data-sharing.