Independent Retailer Grant
As part of the Council's strategy to support Andover and Romsey town centres, an Independent Retailer Grant of £1,000 is now available to encourage independently-owned retailers to take up vacant space.
The £1,000 grant will be accompanied by a package of practical measures to help a new retailer through the difficult first months of trading. The Grant is designed to attract independent retailers into vacant premises in Romsey and Andover, and is one of a series of measure to support the town centres.
A budget of £20,000 (10 grants for Andover and 10 for Romsey) has been set aside. The impact of the new Grant will be formally assessed at the end of 12 months.
New or existing businesses moving into ground floor premises which have been vacant for at least one month in the Primary and Secondary Shopping Areas of the towns
Use Classes A1 (Shops) and A3 (Restaurants and Cafés)
Dependent on all other relevant Council consents (e.g. planning permission, other licenses etc.).
Please see the maps attached indicating the primary and secondary areas for Andover and Romsey town centres, plus Key. The Primary Shopping Area (solid light blue coloured area) within which are Primary Shopping Frontages (dashed/broken dark blue line)and Secondary Shopping Frontages (solid dark blue line)
- The grant does not apply to:
Nationally-owned multiple chains
Use Classes A2 (Financial & Professional Services); Class A4 (Drinking Establishments) and Class 5 (Hot Food Takeaways)
Businesses already in receipt of the Business Incentive Grant.
The grant is managed by the Economic Development Officer and signed off by the Head of Finance and Economic Portfolio holder.
Payment is staged, £500 after 3 months and £500 after 9 months.
Specific support for town centre businesses
- Free training for Andover residents employed in shops using Andover Skills Training Fund
- Support with marketing to new residential neighbourhoods.
Generic business support
The council already provides general support for new businesses starting up in Test Valley, which will be available to new independent businesses if they want it. The Independent Retailer Grant compliments this general help.
- Enterprise First business advice e.g. mentoring service -
- Support with promotional press release
- Joined-up and supportive approach to TVCB responsibilities through TV Town Centre Team (including licensing, consents, promotion, rate relief)
- Access to business membership and networking organisations (useful contacts on social media marketing, e-commerce, professional advice etc.)
For all enquiries or expression of interest in obtaining a grant please contact firstname.lastname@example.org