How to complain to the Council

The steps you should take if you feel you have a complaint or concern about the Council:

In the first instance, if you are concerned about something you can speak to your local councillor, or you can write, telephone, e-mail or visit the Council offices (the address is at the foot of the page).

Your concern will be dealt with by the Head of Service and/or Officers responsible for that area, as appropriate.

In most cases, we will be able to resolve your concern or complaint within 10 working days. If this is not possible for any reason, we will let you know why, and when you will hear from us.

If you are still unhappy about the way your concern has been dealt with, you can telephone, e-mail or write to the Chief Executive.

A complaint is taken very seriously. The Chief Executive will involve the people in charge of the relevant service and investigate your concerns. You will receive an acknowledgement within three working days and a response within fifteen working days.

If you remain dissatisfied with the findings and decisions by the Chief Executive, or with the overall handling of your complaint, there are further options which you may pursue, and which the Complaints and Communications Officer can guide you through, including:

Contact your elected representative - please note you can contact your local Councillor about an issue at any stage, before, during, or after your complaint

The Local Government Ombudsman 


Other types of complaints

Road and pot hole repairs – Hampshire County Council

Street lighting issues – Hampshire County Council

Local Housing Stock, including maintenance and repair, graffiti, and some neighbourhood issues – Aster Communities (Formerly known as Testway)

If you raise an issue via Twitter or Facebook we will help and sign post you to the correct council service or external agency.


For queries about the complaints process please contact:

Complaints and Communications Officer
Tel: 01264 368000 or