Premises only part occupied for a short time

If part of your premises are not being used the Council may consider an application for relief under Section 44A of the Local Government Finance Act 1988.

Please provide the Council with a plan of the property showing the empty part and a covering letter explaining the reason that part of the property is empty and for how long this is likely to be the case.

If you think you might qualify but want some advise please contact us on 01264 368500

The Council may arrange for an Inspector to visit your premises and, if satisfied that the relief should be applied, will ask the Valuation Office Agency to issue a certificate detailing the Rateable Value of the unoccupied and occupied parts. Your bill will then be recalculated to take into account any reduction that you are entitled to in respect of the unoccupied part.

It should be noted that this action depends on the intended occupation of the premises. If a view is taken that there is no intention to fully occupy the premises, the Valuation Office Agency may, instead, be asked to split the assessment.