Food Premises Registration

Do I need to register my food business?

Nearly all businesses which produce, process or distribute food, whether for profit or not, or whether public or private, need to be registered (which is free). This should be done at least 28 days before opening. Food business operators must ensure that the Council always has up-to-date information on establishments and report any significant change in activities and/or closure of an existing establishment. The purpose of the registration is to provide information for the Local Authority about the food businesses within its area so that it can target inspections effectively.

Are there any exemptions?

The following types of business do not require registration:

  • Primary production for private domestic use
  • The domestic preparation, handling or storage of food for private domestic consumption
  • The direct supply, by the producer, of small quantities of primary products to the final consumer or to local retail establishments directly supplying the final consumer
  • Collection centres and tanneries which fall within the definition of a food business only because they handle raw material for the production of gelatine or collagen.

New Food Businesses

If you are a new food business or are considering starting up a new business, the Food Standards Agency provides an information booklet called Starting up: Your First Steps to Running a Catering Business which is available in several languages.

How do I register?

Phone us on 01264 368000 to request a food registration form or download Food Premises Registration Form at the foot of this page.

Further information is available at:

For further information please contact

The Commercial Team
Tel: 01264 368000