Planning an event for the Queen's Jubilee

There will be year-long Platinum Jubilee celebrations throughout the United Kingdom, the Commonwealth and around the world as communities come together to celebrate The Queen’s historic reign.
An extended bank holiday, from Thursday 2nd to Sunday 5th June, will provide an opportunity for communities and people throughout the United Kingdom to come together to celebrate the historic milestone. The four days of celebrations will include public events and community activities, as well as national moments of reflection on The Queen’s 70 years of service.

Arranging Community Events Inspiration:

  • The Street Party website has a wealth of information on setting up and running a street party. Including guidance on road closures, activity ideas, ways to involve neighbours and top tips.
  • The Big Lunch provides loads of practical tips and advice on arranging a community event. As well as having a dedicated page for arranging a Big Jubilee Lunch.
  • More information can also be found here.
Waste and Litter: Please contact your local Community Engagement Officer for guidance on event waste disposal.


  • TVBC Councillor Community Grant: Each TVBC ward has an allocated amount of money that can be awarded in grants to encourage community led initiatives.
  • Hampshire County Councillor Grant: offer a range of grants along with their Councillor Grant whereby every Councillor receives an annual budget to allocate to local projects.

Closing a Road

We are no longer accepting applications for road closures for Jubilee events
  • The application fee for a temporary road closure for public events will be waived for those applications that demonstrate that their event is for the purposes of celebrating Her Majesty’s Platinum Jubilee from 2 June 2022 through to 5 June 2022. More details on how to apply and further guidance can be found here. Further safety guidance for planning a major event can be found here
  • Hampshire County Council Also provide further information about planning events on highways and things to consider.
  • The Government website also offers further useful information and handy guide on organising a street party.


  • Alcohol and Food: If you wish to hold an ad-hoc event involving a licensable activity (e.g. selling alcohol), you must give a temporary event notice (TEN) to your local licensing authority no later than ten clear working days before the event. Please contact the TVBC licencing team for more information on licencing for food and drink.
  • Music: You don’t need a music licence, whether the music is live or pre-recorded, as long as your street party is a private party for residents and you haven’t advertised the music to make money or attract people.
  • Raffles and Tombolas: Anyone running a lottery that permits the sale of tickets before an event, or away from the place where the event is held, is likely to need a registration with their local authority. Although there are some exceptions to this please check further information.
Photography: There is no law or rules regarding photography in a public place, however best practice would be to ask for permission to take any photos that would allow an individual to be identified.