Abandoned Vehicles

What is an abandoned vehicle?
People often confuse an abandoned vehicle with a nuisance and/or untaxed vehicle.  The Council only has the powers to tackle and remove genuinely abandoned vehicles.

For a vehicle to be classed as abandoned it should be untaxed plus at least three of the following:

  • vehicle is just a shell
  • burnt out
  • doors open
  • doors missing
  • bonnet open
  • seats and inside fittings missing
  • windows broken or missing
  • windscreen broken or missing
  • wheels missing
  • flat tyres
  • signs of vandalism
  • evidence of vehicle having been stripped for parts, for example bumpers and tyres missing
  • vehicle full of rubbish
  • signs of a tow rope having been used
  • missing registration plates
  • evidence of vehicle not having moved such as birds mess, dust, weeds, no windscreen wiper marks
  • evidence of neglect and poor condition, for example rust, very dirty, scratched or dented
  • vehicle has never been seen in the location previously but appears to have been unattended for three days.

You can check if a vehicle is taxed on the GOV.UK website.

Where the vehicle is untaxed, but does not appear to meet the criteria above, please report it to the DVLA via the GOV.UK website.


If you consider a vehicle to be abandoned please report it to us using this link: My Test Valley  Remember to give us as many details as possible including:

  • the vehicle registration number (if visible)
  • the make, model and colour of the vehicle
  • the exact location of the vehicle
  • if the vehicle is on private land, the name and address of the landowner (if possible).

Alternatively, you can contact Customer Services on 01264 368000 or 01794 527700.

Removal Costs

Test Valley Borough Council has the power to recover the costs of removal, storage and disposal from the person responsible for abandoning a vehicle.  For details of the current costs see - The Removal, Storage and Disposal of Vehicles (Prescribed Sums and Charges) Regulations 2008. 


Nuisance Vehicles

Under the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005, we can investigate nuisance motor vehicles – vehicles that are either for sale on the highway (within 500m of each other) or that are being repaired on the highway. To report a nuisance vehicle, please complete this form: Report a Nusiance VehicleIf you wish to report a vehicle that is obstructing the highway please call the police on 101.